Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:39:00 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Gregory G. Losik" <gregor@cc.gatech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PostScript 3.0 -> 2.0

Gregory G. Losik wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a printer that supports PostScript 2.0, but now, most of the stuff
> is 3.0 as far I see.  Latest version of Netscape saved netscape.ps in 3.0.

No, it doesn't, at least for me. Also, AFAIK, there's no such thing as
PostScript 3. Why do you say that? The first line of a PostScript file
(something like %!PS-Adobe-3.0) does not specify the version of the
language it is written in. It specifies the level of the Structured
Document Formatting Convention it complies with. The printer couldn't
care less about this version, and anyhow, version 3.0 first appeared in
the 2nd edition of the PostScript Language Reference Manual (Red book)
that described PostScript Level 2 (highly recommended reading, if you
like programming in PostScript :-) ).

> Are there are any filters or some other tricks and magic you can suggest to
> try in order to convert 3.0 postscript files to 2.0?  Does gs does this?

Why? Doesn't it print correctly? I think most applications (still)
generate Level 1 PostScript, unless told otherwise.

> Thanks,
> Greg
>                         -Gregory Losik (gregor@cc.gatech.edu)
Nadav