Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>, skv@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, perl@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: bsd.perl.mk (Was: Re: _PERL_REFACTORING_COMPLETE lang/perl5.12 Mk/bsd.perl.mk)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> You didn't quite test everything.

I didn't try. :)  In talking to Mark his previous testing clearly
demonstrated that with the knob set would cause the INDEX generation to
fail spectacularly. So the fact that this did not happen, seems like a
good sign.

> Some ports have optional PERL dependencies.
>
> You should probably try WITH_PERL=yes before and after too.

That's a great suggestion, thanks. I re-ran the tests, all 4 with
WITH_PERL defined, and then before and after _PERL_REFACTORING_COMPLETE
and the 2 WITH_PERL INDEX files were the same in each branch. Different
than the ones generated without WITH_PERL obviously ...

So yeah, a pointyhat run is almost certainly a good idea before actually
making the change, however 'make index' was the canary in Mark's
original coal mine, and fortunately that bird is still singing. :)

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso