Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:43:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD now has USB ..

 > ... Is FreeBSD next?
 >
 > Someone want to take on a porting project?  (and don't say me, I don't
 > have time or the technical expertice.)

Little update on that one:

Support for USB is being developed for Linux, NetBSD and FreeBSD. There
is a separate effort, done by several companies, and lead by DEC to
create a Universal Interface to it, a so-called USBDI.

Lennart Augustsson is doing the work for NetBSD and I was supposed to
the implementation for FreeBSD. I have a stack that does something, but
couldn't yet be bothered to have a look at the USBDI. Lennart is much
further in that he is able to run a number of different devices off it,
with control, interrupt, bulk AND isochroneous transfers. He is at the
moment rewriting his code, because he did not like the looks of it.
Linux is a separate effort due to licensing (GNU) and done by Inaky
Perez Gonzalez.

At the moment, my implementation has stopped completely due to lack of
time. It is however intended to either port Lennart's source or build my
own stack (of which the lower parts, UHCI/HC virtual hub, have already
been implemented) within the next few weeks.

I'm supposed to be the point of contact for the FreBSD implementation,
so if you want do anything or want more information, just let me know.

Links to information on USB:

http://www.usb.org
http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl

Ciao,