Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:34:04 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

Wes Peters wrote:
> > o       Files replaced by a package backed up in case of package removal
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  Be able to create a backup script of
> the files related to a package for backing up?  Be able to restore only
> missing files from a package?  Both seem like good ideas...

o	For the upgrade which is actually a downgrade, to kill it, e.g.:

	o	Install "bob".
	o	Install of "bob" overwrites "libc".
	o	Deinstall "bob".
	o	Old "libc" is restored.

> > o       Group option:  Install prerequisites
>
> Wouldn't you want this to be the default, perhaps with an option to
> abort if they're not "readily available"???

o	Package Q that imports A, B, and C and exports X, Y, and Z,
	where Y does not depend on A, B, or C.  Package R depends on
	Q::R, rather than the whole of Q.

My first impulse would be: "Break up package Q, rather than hacking up
package R to not pull in Q's dependencies".  On the other hand, this is
a legitimate thing to do, if you want something to work, and don't care
how, so making it impossible to do would probably be bad.

> > o       Groupextend option:  Install postrequisites, e.g. dependent
> >         packages and patches
>
> In other words, roll portupgrade into the system.

Yes.  In case it wasn't clear:

o	No more "portupgrade"

o	No more "mergemaster"

> > o       The ability to export and import the package database (currently
> >         to clone systems, I rsync /usr/local, /usr/X11R6, and /var/db/pkg
> >         to a new system I am installing, this saves many hours of work).
>
> Yes, perhaps even the ability to capture a currently installed package
> and turn it back into a package file.  That'd be way cool for duplicating
> packages with local customizations.

o	Ability to capture anything that didn't come in from a package, +/-
	specified files, plus specified package dependencies, as a package
	(e.g. "Terry's mail server configuration", "Terry's DNS server
	configuration", etc..  8-)).

(this one would be kind of cool... bento, et. al. would not need to be set
up to do all the builds in a jail to be able to distinguish package components).

-- Terry