Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 13:38:55 -0600
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On 12/26/14 10:50, cpet@sdf.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am familiar with the gentoo "portage" system but I am unfamiliar
>> with the freebsd system.  I prefer to compile ports.
>>
>> While I am familiar with "make install", I do not know how to upgrade
>> all the ports I previously installed (equivalent to gentoo's "emerge
>> -Dauv world").  Section 5.5.3.1 of the handbook says that I should use
>> portmaster.  When I install portmaster I get a friendly reminder:
>>
>> "If you want to switch to the new pkg(8) format, and have not already
>> done so, there are some extra 1-time steps to take"
>>
>> Can you guys help me answer these questions:
>>
>> 1. Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?
>>
>> 2. If yes, have I already done so?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> PS: I'm running 10.1-RELEASE-p3
>>
> This comes down to 2 things which are easy:
>
> 1. Do you compile a lot of packages with custom options then skip pkgng
> and continue to using ports.
> 2. If you don't and just do make install clean and only use default
> options then pkgng would be easier.
>
> Hope this helps some.
>
> Chris Petrik

I 2nd that motion. Early on in my FreeBSD adventure, I wound up
compiling iceweb & dependencies from scratch: 5+ hours later it was
done. A week or 2 later, I pkg-upgraded it, about 30 sec. to complete.
No contest for me, it's pkg all the way unless something (flash support)
necessitates compiling from ports. $0.02, no more, no less ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."
                            -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.