Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:25:33 +0200
From:      "Webmaster" <webmaster@healthnet.es>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   arplookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx failed: host is not on local network

Since I built world with -stable (RC) sources of april 9, and still after
remaking world with sources of april 17, one of my servers (call it host "A")
is producing these logs:

Apr 18 13:18:26 A /kernel: arplookup <IP of B host> failed: host is not on
local network
Apr 18 13:44:00 A /kernel: arplookup <IP of B host> failed: host is not on
local network

Of course, the host "B" is on the local network. It is a similar (same
motherboard, same single network card, same processor) FreeBSD-stable (april
6 sources until updated today) system that does not show such behavior. All
the updates included building world, kernel, mergemastering and MAKEDEV.

Previous to the april 9 upgrade, the A server was 4.2-RELEASE, so any change
between release and april 9 could have produced it.

The machine with the problem ("A") has many IP addresses (aliases) defined,
the other (B) has not. The output of arp -a on the host A shows the correct
results for all hosts except for B, that does not appear at all. The output
of arp -a at "B" is OK.

Any suggestion?