Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   corrupted libwrap?

I maintain a machine on a network that's poorly staffed.  On occasion, the
hub that it's connected to will get unplugged for a long time, in this
case, a day.  Meantime, the machine was power cycled.  So when the machine
is powered back up and the hub is powered up (is that so much to ask?),
the system complains about libwrap, like so:
% telnet freebsd.hopeless.net
Trying 192.169.1.55...
Connected to freebsd.hopeless.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libwrap.so.7.6"
Connection closed by foreign host.

But libwrap.so.7.6 _is_ in /usr/local/lib -- I can rememedy it by
reinstalling tcp wrappers (or maybe there's some mumbo jumbo that's needed
with ld?).  It's just annoying and it's happened twice since upgrading
2.2.2 to 2.2.7.  Has anybody else seen and fixed this? I have a feeling
the people at this facility are going to be incompetent for the
foreseeable future, randomly unplugging things and other stupid antics,
but I'd like to keep tcpd on without it being susceptible to this.
-Ian