Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:44:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        didier@omnix.fr.org, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

> > > Sun is no longer 'open' about Java now that they've got enough mindshare
> > > to keep momentum going.  It's a pretty cheap way of doing business by
> > > first promising openness and then renigging on it, but it's only too
> > > common in business nowadays.
>
> I haven't seen this, but if true, it won't last.  Mindshare is inversely
> proportional to proprietership.  Look at the UNIX successes: TCP/IP,
> X, etc..  All of them are from freely available technology that the
> vendors could standardize without licensing fees or "baseball card"
> trading (cross-licensing to get into a clique, a favorite of the UNIX
> market in the past).

Look at the mindshare M$ has.  It is *inversely* proportional to it's
open-ness.  Sun is just taking a card from M$'s deck and using it to
it's full advantage.

Java is here to stay whether we like it or not (as simply as Win32 is
*the* current standard for business applications, like it or not).  My
opinions aside, Sun is doing what's best for Sun in keeping Java
proprietary and selling off it's name/technology to other vendors in
exchange for money/favors.

However, on the bright side it's popularity has caused the folks who
build the PC build tools to give usable build environments (Symantec's
Cafe', M$'s VJ++, etc..).  Sun has *yet* to come up with a usable IDE
for doing java development, and they own the technology. :(

Nate