Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:17:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jacopo.pecci@erv.ericsson.se (Jacopo Pecci)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to drop few packets

> I have just implemented the new reno algorithm but I would like to have
> a sort of feedback to see if it is working.
> I have built up a small network with 3 PCs, one of them act as a router
> and has NISTnet emulator to emulate some channels.

since you are using freebsd, why don't you just use dummynet which is
part of recent FreeBSD distributions to simulate the lossy/congested
channel ?

> Do you have any idea how I could check if my implementation is right or
> wrong? I should find the way to drop few packets in the same window (is
> there any traffic generator like SOCK that allows me to drop some
> packets?).

To simulate what you want you could first try with a small queue
size (because TCP is bursty), then you could even do minor
modifications to dummynet to set some histeresys on the queue --
drop once above the high water mark, and keep dropping until the
queue goes below low water.

	cheers
	luigi
  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====