Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:25:12 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>, Jeff Kletsky <Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FWIW: pkg_alert development (was: Re: pkg/port dependency tool (enclosed))

--On Tuesday, April 24, 2001 23:18:57 -0700 David Bushong
<david@bushong.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:13:14PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 09:05:17PM -0700, David Bushong wrote:
>> > I noted this a bit earlier, but if someone's looking for a tool with
>> > this sort of functionality, I'm casually maintaining one called
>> > "pkg_upgrade":
>>
>> You people really should check around more before starting new projects
>> :-(
>>
>> PKG_UPDATE(1)           FreeBSD General Commands Manual
>> PKG_UPDATE(1)
>>
>> NAME
>>      pkg_update - update an installed package

> That does a tiny bit of what I'm looking for..  and existed only as a
> README file when I started writing this.  I hestitate to put a whole lot

I don't think it was pkg_update you saw a README for, I committed this as
completed code, there wasn't a README around beforehand.

> more work into any system, though, as I'm convinced that the current
> ports/package  system has critical shortcomings that making theoretically
> flawless (let  alone pratically) upgrades impossible.  (Lack of central
> database, versioning and segmentation based solely on filename, and so
> on..)

I concur, I ran into a lot of issues when trying to write it and the more I
thought about new features the more it highlighted how many problems there
are with the ports "database".

> I'm waiting for that tasty 3rd generation package system Jordan promised
> us all at BSDCon, and getting along fine with pkg_upgrade in the meantime.

I must have missed that presentation, is it online somewhere?

I've grabbed a copy of your pkg_update, I'll take a look at it tonight and
see if we can merge some of the ideas.

Paul.