Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:11:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Josh Tiefenbach <josh@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with bootparamd

Hi,

I've been having some problems recently trying to get a Sun 3/50 booting off
of a -current machine. The Sun was previously booting off of a Linux box fine,
and since I'm recycling the config files, I'm led to believe that it may be a
-current problem.

Symptoms:
rarpd and tftpd seem to be working fine. The sun finds its kernel,
dl's it, starts reporting the devices found, and then hangs briefly
after reporting the bw2 card.

then the following message pops up:

No bootparam server responding, still trying
whoami: pmap_rmtcall status 0x5

which kinda doesnt make sense, cause it found the bootparam server earlier
(from server logs)

Oct 10 15:58:29 eddie bootparamd: whoami got question for 131.104.48.118
Oct 10 15:58:29 eddie bootparamd: This is host carlsberg.cis.uoguelph.ca
Oct 10 15:58:29 eddie bootparamd: Returning carlsberg       131.104.48.34
Oct 10 15:58:30 eddie bootparamd: getfile got question for "carlsberg" and file "root"
Oct 10 15:58:30 eddie bootparamd: returning server:eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca path:/usr/export/Xkernel.sun3 address: 131.104.48.34

I'm using the sun kernel/bootfile from the Linux-XKernel v2.0 package.

Server:
FreeBSD eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0: Sat Sep 21 11:15:10 EDT 1996     josh@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca:/usr/src-current/sys/compile/EDDIE  i386

Also, the booting process seems to generate:

Oct 10 15:58:43 eddie routed[47]: punt RTM_ADD without gateway

A grep of the mailing lists seems to indicate that other people seem to be
having this problem, but I was unable to find a solution in there.

Any suggestions?

josh

--
Josh Tiefenbach           | "I am a yapping dog with mean little teeth.
President,                |  I am as often as wrong as you, as often as