Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:07:43 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: change an image or convert it to metapost

Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear folks,
>
> Is it possible to change an image:
>
> http://www.valleycentral.com/uploadedImages/kgbt/Sports/Videos/GatorLogoJPEG.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch
>
> To metapost?  so that it could be processed by metapost?
>
> I have referenced this page
>
> http://matagalatlante.org/nobre/hyt/mpost.html
>
> but I don't have some of the programs referenced there.  If someone
> that is experienced in metapost or other language that can convert the
> graphic to metapost it would be very nice.  I have converted the image
> to EPS(encapsulated postscript) but the image does not fit nicely in
> *.tex documents and I would prefer to have a native one created by
> metapost or similar.

Metapost contains more information than JPEG. There's no way to derive a
whole model from a flat image, so converting the former to the latter
doesn't really make sense. For that matter, JPEG is a pixel-based
format, so it's not going to scale in the document as well as something
that's based on vectors or curves. It would probably look okay if the
original image were much larger and getting scaled down.

The usual thing to do here is probably to make sure the image gets used
at its normal resolution. This is really a TeX (or LaTeX)
question. Unfortunately, my set of documents in easy reach is too old to
cover how to do this, so I can't give you the formula offhand.

Good luck.