Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:37:33 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange DNS issue (more)

On 4 Jan 2001 18:26:20 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you wrote:

>> I have mail.xyz.com, www.xyz.com, host.xyz.com as A records in my zone
>> files.
>> Very sporadically I get a call from someone saying that they cannot =
get to
>> www.xyz.com.  I have them ping around and they can ping mail and host,=
 but
>> www comes back with unknown host.  If I have them do an nslookup and =
change
>> to another DNS server out on the net, it works.  A short while later =
the
>> problem will resolve itself.
>> Any clues?
>
>Tell us the real name of the xyz.com domain so that we can check your
>name server for ourselves. *Then* we might be able to help.

OK, here is a strange DNS issue that is different. =20

Not sure if this is specifically a sendmail or bind issue or a FreeBSD
issue. But when sending email to a domain that is LAME (e.g. supercom.ca =
or
beckett.com)) where the 2 authoritative name servers are giving non
authoritative answers, I want to send mail to it anyways.  Using the same
rev of sendmail on a lINUX box works in conjunction with asking the =
FreeBSD
nameserver.  Any idea why sendmail 8.11 on FreeBSD would be more strict
than the same rev on Linux ?

# name resolver options
#O ResolverOptions=3D+AAONLY
ResolverOptions=3D-AAONLY
or
ResolverOptions=3D

Does not seem to have any effect.

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)	=09
Sentex Communications Corp,   	=09
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers=20
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)