Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2017 13:33:19 +0000
From:      Derrick McKee <derrick.mckee@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bogus pwstat instruction count in guest OS

Hi,

I am trying to count instructions executed for programs running in an 11.0
guest OS (Virtual Box is the hypervisor).  However, pwstat is reporting
obviously low numbers.  Firefox, for example, is reporting ~7000
instructions when executing the Kraken benchmark.  I've installed the
emulator/virtualbox-ose-additions package, as well as put
vboxguest_enable="YES" and vboxservice_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf.
After executing kldload hwpmc, dmesg reports hwpc_core: unknown PMC
architecture: 0.  Any ideas as to what could be the problem?  Thanks.
--
Derrick McKee
Ph.D. Student at Purdue University