Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:25:34 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of FreeBSD vs NetBSD (was: Re: Performance of -current vs -stable)

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 09:05:28PM +0100, BOUWSMA Beery wrote:

> I built both a WITNESS and a WITNESSless kernel with more recent
> k0deZ, and in the case of playing an mp3 file with `mpg123', I
> saw practically no difference between the two, based on %cpu as
> shown by `top' (like I say, completely unscientific and inaccurate)

As you are no doubt aware there are significant infrastructural
changes in -current relating to SMP scalability.  It's in a very
interim state at the moment, and one of the downsides is increased
interrupt latency and lock contention for certain operations (yes,
audio playback is one of them).

Basically, it's a known issue.

Kris

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO