Date:      Sun, 4 Nov 2001 04:58:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Burncd errors...

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Mikko Tyolajarvi wrote:

> >If only that were an option in this case ;)
>
> >Is it a problem with burncd itself or with the ATA drivers?
>
> It is in the ATA kernel code, or rather (IMHO) the LG firmware not
> behaving according to spec.  I took a quick look at what was going on,
> but without proper hardware documentation thara isn't much to do; the
> drive insists that a command is "illegal" and that's it...
>
> Hence the purchase of a better drive.

You know, it actually works so long as the LBA value is greater than
0... for instance, if I burn a 300 block data track (mode 1), the LBA for
the disk is then 66. I can burn raw mode tracks after that.

I've not looked closely enough at it yet to see what value the drive
considers "illegal" but it'd be nice if it was just some faulty
mathematics somewhere :)

> >I don't think there are any alternatives, either... cdrecord and cdrdao
> >both support the LG CED-8080B, but, I know the former won't work since
> >there's not ATAPI passthrough and I believe the latter suffers the same
> >fate...
>
> Pretty much all other CD-RW programs have been written for SCSI, and
> use some kind of scsi-to-atapi conversion library or driver to work
> with atapi drives.  Whether atapi actually just is scsi commands over
> a different transport or not I don't know, but FreeBSD for the time
> being does not have such a compatibility thingie.

I should go through and compare the method cdrecord users with the FreeBSD
ATA drivers. Of course, I'm just a Perl hippie so that's not as easy as it
sounds ;)

Erik.

--
E. L. Rothwell