Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:06:26 -0500
From:      Chris Radek <cradek@in221.inetnebr.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ext2fs and sync panic, still

I have run into the problem where mounting an ext2fs r/w panics as
soon as sync is called.  r/o has no problems.  This is from current
as of a couple days ago.

This panic is due to a null pointer dereference in ext2_sync
(ext2_vfsops.c:858) caused by a vnode with a NULL v_data.  There is a
comment in ext2_vget warning of a blocking MALLOC() that might cause
this, but I don't understand the comment.  Can someone explain this
to me?  My first thought was that this was an SMP locking problem,
but a uniprocessor kernel gives the same behavior.

I could of course skip syncing the vnode if its v_data is NULL but it
seems to me like having this bogus vnode in the list signifies a
bigger problem.  There is some locking code in ext2_vget but I don't
understand it.  Is it possible that a sync can be called between
getnewvnode() and filling in the structure?  (Please excuse any
questions that might be stupid...  I'm new to this!)

Does anyone have insight into this problem?  Charlie Fluffy
(fluffy@int.tele.dk) reported the same thing on June 28th and it
doesn't look like anybody has made any progress.

Unfortunately I can't get a memory dump from this machine because I am
running it diskless.  (correct me if this is wrong!)  I want to
convert it (gently) from Linux and to do this I need to run it diskless
and mount my ext2 filesystems.

Thanks,

Chris