Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:11:09 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org, solarisonintel@egroups.com
Subject:   Re: PPro 200 vs PII 400

Paul Griffith wrote:

> I am looking for any web sites that compares the PPro to the PII. I have a
> possible new customer that is looking to replace their PPro 200, with a
> PII 400 for about $6000.00 CDN. The problem is they have only 10 Win95
> Clients running a DOS based business app. They have used up 1 GIG on a 2
> GB HD in the last 2 years. Yet the new server includes 2x9.1 GB HD (L0
> Raid). What gets me here is that the person who is trying to sell them
> this package didn't even suggest they upgrade their  network to 100BaseT,
> it's still 10BaseT !
>
> Any pointers. I was suggesting they upgrade their network first, then look
> at the Server.

That'd be my first target as well.  How is the network laid out?  A
100mbps line server to hub, then 10mbps to the workstations can make
a huge difference without having to rewire everything.

Are they even maxing out the server?  If not, it won't mean squat no
matter how much horsepower they get.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available