Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:08:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        VICTOR KAKHNYCH <kha0s@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MRTG statistic from dial-up _lines_ ( a-la cisco async's)

What kind of statistics are you looking for?  Even on Cisco routers, if
you configure an Async interface, you're binding a layer 2 protocol to it.
mrtg will operate on anything that gets an entry in the ifTable no
problem.  You will not get an ifTable entry unless you're capable of doing
some kind of encapsulation on it.  Layer 1 lines  wouldn't give you
much anyway.

Joe Clarke

P.S. Note that even a Cisco Asyncx interface has some encapsulation
running on it (i.e. PPP) in order to produce the statistics.