Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:41:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      cco1817-0@yahoo.de
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Release engineering process confusions and "make (build)world"

Hi folks,

Up to now, when I'm installing my FreeBSD boxes I download the latest RELEA=
SE iso-image for my platform. These days I used 7.0-RELEASE. For security f=
ixes I use the provided patches as mentioned in the security advisories.=20

Since a long time I'm asking myself the following questions and I don't fin=
d answers in the handbook (e.g. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/=
articles/releng/article.html) or other ressources:

1. Some SA's say that the a bug is corrected in a particular RELENG or RELE=
ASE or a patched RELEASE. For example FreeBSD-SA-08:05.openssh states that =
>>RELENG_7_0, 7.0-RELEASE-p1<<. But where can I get a -p1??? I've never see=
n iso-images for a x.y-RELEASE-pnn. Is this the time where I need to build =
a release (as iso-image) by myself? If so, what branch-tag do I need to get=
 7.0-RELEASE-p1?

2. I understood that there are two different development branches, >>HEAD a=
ka CURRENT<< and >>STABLE<<. I avoid using these branches because I'm not a=
 developer. Thats the reason why I only want to use RELEASES. But what the =
hell is a "RELENG"??? Why are these things not called 7.0-CURRENT or 7.0-ST=
ABLE and so on (and 7.0-RELEASE for me)? Maybe I've a problem to understand=
 this because I'm not really familar with CVSup.

3. I played around with jails these days and I had my first contact with "m=
ake world". Despite the inconsistencies in the handbook where the jail-chap=
ter instructs to use "make world" and the rebuilding world part warns expli=
citly and proposes "make buildworld" (but the Makefile tells me that the ta=
rget >>world<< stands for "buildworld + installworld, no kernel" which seem=
s okay?!), does it make sense to use "make buildworld" also when I'm not up=
dating to another RELEASE? As it compiles everything on my machine (it auto=
detects my CPU and features?!) I guess the system should perform better?! I=
s it possible or common to update to the latest source tree (where latest m=
eans I want to stay at the current RELEASE but want to have all patches lik=
e 7.0-RELEASE-p1)? Or results an updating process of the source tree always=
 in a switch to STABLE or CURRENT (depending on the branch tag in CVSup con=
fig?)?

Many thanks in advance to everyone who puts me in the right direction. Befo=
re posting to the list I read some documents (mainly the handbook), but may=
be I missed some small but important sentences. Thanks!

cheers,
_=0AGesendet von Yahoo! Mail.=0ADem pfiffigeren Posteingang.=0Ahttp://de.ov=
erview.mail.yahoo.com