Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:11:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        drwilco@drwilco.net (Rogier R. Mulhuijzen)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anybody working on bridging code & a question for -arch on  userland/kernel

> 1) Is anyone working on the bridging code? I'm going to extend the
> ng_bridge node with Spanning Tree Protocol and I wouldn't want to be
> duplicating work. I checked in -current, but I thought I'd check on -net as
> well. (And -arch because of my next question)

i am doing some minor fixes to the non-netgraph version of
the bridging code.

> 2) Where does one draw the line at handling stuff in the kernel or
> userspace. The algorithms that are used in the Spanning Tree Protocol
> aren't very complicated, and I'm pretty sure I could contain everything in
> kernel space, but what is the Right Thing to do? Everything in kernelspace,
> or running a userland daemon that does all the calculating, decision making
> and time tracking?

i'd rather do as much as possible in userspace, and issue appropriate
calls (basically sysctl or similar to enable/disable forwarding
on some of the bridged interfaces) when necessary.
If you need a specific control interface i will be glad to
implement it, and your spanningTreed will be much much easier
to implement, test, maintain and reuse for different bridging things
(not to mention that a single box can act as multiple independent
bridges for which you want multiple spanning trees).

let me know if you have some spanning tree code that you want to
test/integrate.

	cheers
	luigi