Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 02:36:55 +0200 (EETDST)
From:      Juha Inkari <inkari@snakemail.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   uptimes (was  Re: What people are doing with FBSD)

> > non-existant source management, and probably some history.  FreeBSD gets
> > hurt badly by unstability, not much change to "sell" FreeBSD to anyone as
> > long as the longest uptimes are weeks.

> I see consistently uptimes of 50+ days on all our server/workstations.
> These system only crash when there is a power outage (no UPSs here).

I see a 138 days uptime on a NetBSD 1.0 box, up since the last blackout.
It has done better than a somewhat similar setup on same sort of jobs
that runs Dell SVR4 (a few crashes).

I also run NetBSD and FreeBSD current versions, that do fairly well
too, but ofcourse get booted after new kernel builds.

The guilty part for unstability could be flakey or buggy hardware,
too.

How does one measure OS stability anyway ? If we compare uptime
values, the system must operate under a load that can be reproduced on
several test runs. And stability would be better expressed with a
figure that depends on the number of tasks performed, than with a
figure that gets better each second the system sits idle.