Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:20:27 -0500
From:      "Mike Miller" <mmshop01@mgm51.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestion for handbook section 15.6 (Serial console)

Hi,

First of all, this section of the documention was excellent in helping me=
 to set up serial access for my rack-mount FreeBSD server.

I did run into one hurdle that I think should be mentioned in the handbook.=
  My default install of FreeBSD (4.4 release, from the CD-ROM) did not=
 enable a serial console in /etc/ttys.   On my serial terminal I saw the=
 boot messages, but the serial output stopped just before I would have seen=
 the login prompt.  I was stumped for a while, then I remembered the=
 /etc/ttys file and decided to give it a try.  I enabled a serial console=
 and everything worked fine.

May I suggest that section 15.6 mention that at least one serial console be=
 enabled in the file /etc/ttys in order for the serial console to work=
 fully up through the login prompt?

Many thanks!

Mike.