Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:35:03 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        MArek <marekd@enter.net.pl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: GNU and make world

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, MArek wrote:

M> M>> What option in my /etc/make.conf file should I specify I want to avoid
M> M>> building GNU informations.
M>
M> DM> #NOINFO=        true    # do not make or install info files
M>
M> I used it, didnd fix anything....

You have to restove src/gnu part, see below...

M> M>> I specified src/gnu in my refuse file , but during the make buildworld
M> M>> an error occurs that src/gnu is not avialable... I think
M>
M> DM> Yes, because you'd effectively disable downloading/tracking sources for large
M> DM> part of the base system, including gcc, gdb, perl, some libraries, tar, etc....
M> DM> ;-)
M>
M>
M> well, I am the begginer...so GNU is not only some documentation?
M> I thought it is only some text....

Nope ;-) You meant GNU Info, which is only one of GNU-produced modules
included/used in FreeBSD.

src/gnu exists mainly to differentiate parts of the system with different
licenses: if you read carefully, you'll see GPL much more restrictive than BSD
license... OTOH, actual non-BSD developed sources lie under src/contrib, not
under src/gnu...

M> thx for help...so the one think to fix the  problem is to receive GNU?

actually, for now the only collections you can safely excude are:

src-games
src-kerberos5
src-kerberosIV
src-release
src-tools
src-eBones

... and, FWIW, they will *not* occupy too much space on one's HD, so I usually
simply do cvsup cvs-all.

M> could you explain me one thing: when I cvsup sources and I specifu
M> prefix in /usr so the files goes to the /usr/src ?
M> and then, from the /usr/src make buildworld and install world compiles
M> and copies it to the e.g. /usr/bin ?

Right. It makes all bits under /usr/obj, and then, during installworld, install
them as appropriate (/{s,}bin, /usr/{s,}bin /usr/lib etc, etc)

Have a nice stable! ;-)

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]