Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@xtalwind.net>
To:        hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>, "Randall D. DuCharme" <randyd@nconnect.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS-DOS text files in UNIX

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, hmmm wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Jeremy Sigmon wrote:
>
> > >    I've read numerous things about adding the CR-LF back into text files
> > > for use with DOS, but what about the other way?? Is there a way to
> > > remove
> > > that annoying ^M from a DOS text file under FBSD?  I've tried many
> > > things
> > > but nothing short of removing them one-by-one seems to work.
>
> apple/mac uses CR
> dos/win   uses LF/CR
> unixes    use  LF
>
> why didn't unix choose CR as the standard EOL?

You are asking the question backwards.  Unix predates apple and dos by
about a decade, more or less, so why didn't THEY choose LF?

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD