Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:19:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryce Edwards <bryce@bryce.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS...

I'm running 2.2-STABLE on two machines, one NIS master & one slave server.
Both are NIS clients bound to themselves using ypbind -s -S domain,host
Everything works fine, & the maps get to the slave, but take a look at the
messages I get when I do a make on the master in /var/yp.

NIS Map update started on Tue Aug 19 13:03:39 CDT 1997 for domain bryce.net
Updating ypservers...
yppush: Transfer of map ypservers to server yoyo failed.
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Master's version not newer
yppush: Transfer of map ypservers to server iggy failed.
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Master's version not newer
Pushed ypservers map.
Updating master.passwd.byname...
yppush: Transfer of map master.passwd.byname to server yoyo failed.
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Master's version not newer
yppush: Transfer of map master.passwd.byname to server iggy failed.
yppush: status returned by ypxfr: Transfer request refused by ypserv
Pushed master.passwd.byname map.

-- SNIP SNIP -- All the rest are the same as the second map --
   (Master's version not newer, Transfer request refused)

Here is what the slave servers log says:

Aug 19 13:04:54 iggy ypserv[90]: couldn't find master for map master.passwd.byname@bryce.net
Aug 19 13:04:54 iggy ypserv[90]: host at yoyo.bryce.net (207.55.172.42) may be pulling my leg

and the same for the rest of the maps...

Notice the first map wasn't logging an error, but make reported the
masters version wasnt newer.

This is happening everytime I run make, after touching & editing files -
even deleting the maps in /var/yp/domain/*

My ypservers file looks like this:

yoyo
iggy

Also, where in the source tree can I get the latest /var/yp/Makefile.dist?

Thanks in advance,

--
Bryce Edwards
bryce@bryce.net