Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 20:01:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Heiner Strauss <strauss@dkrz.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soundblaste 16 pro PnP is not configured

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Heiner Strauss wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 2.1 installed. The system is not able
> to find the soundcard. It's a Soundblaster 16 PnP.
> Under DOS ( yes I know ) it's possible to find the
> card under 0x240 0x330 0x388, DMA 0,6 and INT 10.
> I compiled a kernel with these values, but no success.
> Is there a solution to configure a Plug and Play Card ?

Here is the blurb on the PnP code that I sent to -hackers a while
back..   My computer is off the net until Sunday night, you can either wait
'till then and FTP the files from the address below or just send me mail
and I'll E-Mail the whole thing to you.

Sujal

------ Forward -----
I have working ISA PnP support for FreeBSD-- But I'm still working on various
parts of the code (I guess I really should get someone to commit the code
as it is, since it mostly works).

The code works properly with all the PnP cards I've found so far (all 3 of
them :)

Here is a quick summary of what you need to do..  Sorry for the uglyness,
but I'm working on complete auto-configuration of PnP devices (until then
you'll need to do manual configuration, but it will work):

Here is a manifest of what you'll find on ftp://xi.dorm.umd.edu/pub/pnp:
autoconf.c.patch        PATCH to src/sys/i386/i386/autoconf.c
files.i386.patch        PATCH to src/sys/i386/conf/files.i386
pnp.c                   place in src/sys/i386/isa
pnp.h                   place in src/sys/i386/isa
pnpinfo.tar.gz          untar somewhere.

You'll need to put "controller pnp" in your kernel config (but do not
change any of the device entries to reference the controller pnp).

You'll also need to edit pnp.c's configuration information (since it only
supports manual configuration right now).  The structure looks like:

        {
                0x00008803,             /* Serial Number */
                        -1,             /* Logical Device Number */
                { 15, -1 },             /* IRQ Number */
                { -1, -1 },             /* DRQ Number */
                {
                        0x3e8,          /* Ports 1 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 2 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 3 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 4 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 5 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 6 */
                           -1,          /* Ports 7 */
                }
        },

Just change the Serial Number, and other parameters to match what
"pnpinfo" says about your device.

If all goes well, it should say that it configured your device on boot up.
You may need to fiddle with this a bit, since I those patches are against
-current (and were created manually, not from my running kernel w/pnp).
Lemme know how it goes or if you have any problems.

Sujal