Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 13:19:42 -0800
From:      Kachun Lee <kachun@pathlink.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2-STABLE with 512M RAM

I upgraded one of PPro FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE to 512M RAM. I recompile the
kernel with MAXMEM=512*1024. The system came up and ran without problem.
Also, 'top' showed all the memory was being used.

I was going to apply the patch that Mr. Greenman posted about a year ago.
The patch calls for increase some kernel parameters and require a 'make
world'. I was wondering if that is still necessary. I prefer not to have to
copy a separate source tree to do the 'make world'.

If my memory serve me correctly, I remember that patch will make FreeBSD
not BSDI compatible. Is this the only 'negative' about applying the patch?
If I do not care about BSDI compatible, can I run the same kernel with our
other non 512M systems?

Any comments will be greately appreciate.

Best regards