Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 19:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Alexander Sanda <entropy@compufit.at>, wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
[..]
> > I think this is an a.out problem.
>
> That's an interesting assertion.  Unfortunately, the parts of GCC that
> generate bad code and the parts that produce the output object format
> aren't really related.

Well, with an a.out system, gcc 2.8.1 with all the latest patches from the
port linked all my KDE apps and whatnot, but they all segfaulted when they
ran.  The egcs "snapshot" I was using, generated static kde libs fine, but
some apps tended to segfault, but generally refused to create useable
position independant code (multiply defined symbols).

> It's also been observed that egcs is only producing worthwhile code on
> i386 and sparc, and the alpha is becoming very important for us.

I've heard it been observed from Linux/Alpha users that gcc has very poor
64 bit optimizations anyways.  I think I've heard somewhere on one of
these fbsd lists that it's not so much a problem paying people to do these
types of optimizations, as it is finding the talent to do the grunt work.
I wonder if compensation could persuade some Cygnus folks to work a little
bit more on the Alpha bits.

> Try building the rest of the world, and run with it for a few weeks.

Been there, done that.  I've got no reason to really do it again, until
perhaps, perl5 gets imported.

> Agreed, we need better C++ support.  But obtaining it at the price of
> damaging the operating system itself is not a tradeoff I think any of
> us would be happy with.

Yes, but is egcs really _worse_ than gcc 2.7 on the Alpha, or is just not
as improved as the x86?  Ideally I'd love to see TenDRA imported...
Either way, I really haven't seen egcs break any C code, and hell if they
got gnat working with it..

- alex