Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:07:48 +0100
From:      "Christoph P.U. Kukulies" <kuku@kukulies.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   unknown error during root mount on boot (fstab) in 11.0-RELEASE (after updating)

I stepwise did an upgrade from a FreeBSD 9.2 to 11.0-RELEASE system
using freebsd-update.

It went from 9.2 to 10.0 to 10.3 to 11.0. In the last step the system
ran into an (unknown) error

in the phase where filesystem should get mounted. I found out that it
runs through when I uncomment the

lines as shown in the fstab:

# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options Dump    Pass#
/dev/ada1p2     /               ufs     rw      1       1
/dev/ada1p3     none            swap    sw      0       0
#/dev/ad6s1a     /mnt/ad6s1a    ufs     rw      1       1
#/dev/ad6s1e     /mnt/ad6s1a/usr        ufs     rw      2       2
#/dev/ad6s1d     /mnt/ad6s1a/var ufs    rw      2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto 0       0

The ad6 lines are the offending ones.

I would like to provide more informaion but it escaped me for the moment
how I can catch

the output during boot into a file and post it here.

Any help appreciated.

--

Christoph