Date:      Wed, 29 May 96 17:55:26 CDT
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        smd@cesium.clock.org (Sean Doran)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org, rashid@rk.ios.com
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> So what's wrong with turning off the update daemon on such machines,
> or at least making it call sync(2) at much less frequent intervals?
>
> This is a venerable practice on far-too-busy news machines.

I don't think we have a "separate" update daemon..  although the interval
can be tuned with sysctl.  I'm a little leery of doing this however since I
believe other metadata gets written out too.

> Also, another venerable practice is to make the inode cache
> *huge* (tens of thousands of inodes in ninode/desiredvnodes,
> as appropriate).
>
> I would be willing to bet that these two changes, neither
> of which needs anything more than adb/gdb, and both of which
> are widely portable to 4BSD systems of all types, will make your
> max-ed out disks much happier.

Well I'm open to suggestions.  Punching up desiredvnodes may help
somewhat, but I already crank up other stuff which sets that pretty
high.

> Now what I'd really like to see being worked on for flinging
> around news too fast is playing with 4.4BSD union mounts so that
> at the lowest layer one finds the oldest articles, and in
> each higher layer, one finds newer articles, and the upper
> layer is current.
>
> Expiry would then mean:
>
> -- stop incoming news
> -- unmount lowest layer
> -- newfs lowest layer
> -- mount former lowest layer as upper layer
> -- restart incoming news
>
> and then some bookkeeping as needed to adjust the history
> and overview files, which probably can be done in spare
> cycles.
>
> Unlink(2) is too bloody slow.
>
> You probably lose if you are doing mostly-reads on articles
> several generations old.  If, however, you're a big news distribution
> site...

If you're a big news distribution site, by definition you don't _need_ news
that's several generations old, because you drop all your deadbeat feeds
:-)  (I keep news for a day and expire every 4 hours).

Ah well.

... Joe