Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 1900 17:08:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      I am not any sort of Fluffy <FLUFFEE@fluffy.gets.an.analprobe.dk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports DISTNAME/distfiles question(s)...

Howdy y'awl

I've got a question or three, okay?  It's like this:

I'm trying to build a bunch of ports by giving the command (so
as to overload the line to the local mirror with all the distfiles
rather than going outside)....

make MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://ftp.dk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/

Most of the time it works great (say, for bash).
Sometimes it doesn't.  I trust that what I am doing is right?

Where it fails is when the actual distfiles are in a subdirectory
of the site's distfiles directory mirror.  Take, f'rinstance,
X11, called for when I'm trying to build cvsup.

The X11 src.tgz files are in subdirectory `xc' under distfiles.
One of the XFree86 Makefiles has this directory as `DISTNAME'.

On the other hand, some other ports have DISTNAME and PKGNAME
the same.  On the third hand, something like `xemacs', which
exists as a subdirectory under `distfiles', didn't exist by
itself in the Makefile I looked at (but I didn't look too
closely).

So, the question:
Just how do these subdirectories under `distfiles', if present,
get specified in the Makefile?  And what is the point of the
different DISTNAME and PKGNAME and DISTFILES, so that if
something is b0rken, I can attempt to fix it?

This is probably all answered somewhere, so if you would be
so kind as to point me to it, I'll show my gratitude by doing
a bunch o' greppin' an' scratchin' and try to fix as best I
can the ports that don't properly compile given the above
commandline.

Otherwise, give me a better generic commandline to get the
files out of the local distfiles mirror.  Now I have to
specify the desired subdirectory when the command without it
fails, and that's not nice.  I'd guess these subdirectories
are a somewhat recent addition?

Thanks for letting me bother you.

barry bouwsma, tele dnmrk intrnet