Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:00:35 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help About Shell Script

root@isis.dynip.com wrote:

> That's too simple, but kinda reduntant, they are actually 4 loops
> inside one-another, can't think of creating 4 files each containing an
> integer, this won't be programming, its carpenting.

Well it is a shell script, you can't expect much :-)

>> If the file contains something like
>>
>> i=5
>> j=18
>>
>> you could probably do
>>
>> eval $(cat name_of_the_file)
>
> did not get this one, you mean ;
>
> i= $(cat name_of_the_file)   ???
>
> if that's what you mean, then you solved my problem.

No, ``eval $(cat name_of_the_file)''. First, the shell runs the command
within $(), so you have ``eval i=5 j=18'', then the eval will set those
variables for you. (The spacing of the file doesn't matter, since white
space as normal is ignored by the shell, so you could put all the
variables on one line.)

> Ya, That's aa coooool thing to learn, I have seen what perl scripts
> can do.  But I think its very extensible language, I mean I'll be 65
> years before I reach the bottom of it, is that so,

Not really. Well, maybe it will take a while to learn it all, but you
should be able to learn the basics fairly quickly. As Patrick said,
get a copy of the Camel from Amazon or your local book shop, Perl is a
fairly easy language to learn.

> I'm ready to learn new things, and always wish to learn the devls such
> as perl, tcl, tk, but I'm kinda afraid that they'd be difficult for me
> to learn.

I haven't learnt anything about Tcl or Tk yet. sigh... more things to
learn, I need to learn something about writing programs for X at some
point as well.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk