Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:08:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        Alexander@leidinger.net
Cc:        mreimer@vpop.net, 3d@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvidia binary drivers

> Does nvidia_drv.o really _requieres_ the kernel module to put
> _something_ on the screen (do you have tried it yourself)?

I expect unresolved symbols while linking the glx module..

> I didn't have the PI description about the architecture here, but if I
> remember correctly there are two ways to put 3D on the screen. A way
> which uses DMA and a way without DMA.

You probably refer to direct rendering (banging on the graphics iron directly)
and indirect rendering (transmitting all graphics primitives via sockets),
using the GL over X protocol (=GLX the protocol).

The latter has been realized with the Utah glx module for 3.3.x
servers - but it is slow due to protocol overhead and of course because
the driver does not use low level features of the nvidia chips, like
DMA.

Regards,
Marc