Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 00:15:46 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

>    Is Qt going to be put into the base system in this case?  If
> I can wrestle along with figuring out a few little problems with
> Qt (ones that I could even somehow more easily solve with
> Motif!), then I'll continue to develop my system administration
> tool(s) with it.

No, I don't envision that Qt would go into the system at any point, in
fact.  I figure that the minimal infrastructure support to make setup
and new package_install work will be part of FreeBSD (e.g. tcl and
turbovision would probably replace at least libdialog) and then Qt
will be an optional component.  As previously mentioned, I'd intend
the default setup to be dynamically linked and just dlopen() the Qt
library if a suitable DISPLAY and the Qt libraries could be found.
Otherwise, it would fall back to Turbovison.  Since the floppy version
needs to be linked static, that would support only the CUI interface.
That said, one of the installer options will be to chain to a more
capable installer if the media for same (and all of its dependencies)
can be found.  So you could use the CUI version only long enough to
select "Desktop install" and then the whole VGA16 X server dance would
begin, culminating in the execution of a Qt-capable version of setup.

- Jordan