Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 96 17:46:12 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   de ethernet driver stomps SMC 10/100

We've got an SMC EtherPower 10/100 ethernet card installed in a Pentium
class
machine. The card runs fine under DOS, and when booting FreeBSD 2.1.5-R,
but as
the de0 driver loads, both the link light and the transmit/receive light
on the
SMC card go dead. The screen says:

   de0 <Digital DC21140 Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 11 on pci0:19
   de0: DC21140 [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0 Ethernet address 00:00:c0:5a:a8:e9
   de0: enabling 100baseTX UTP port

It's hard to judge by eye, but it seems like the card dies before the 3rd
line
of the output appears on screen. DOS also finds this card on IRQ 11.

I poked around in the questions archives and discovered I needed to
   # ifconfig de0 -link2
to put the driver into 10Mb/sec mode, but that didn't help. The machine
responds
that it is "enabling 10baseT UTP port", but the state of the card (dead)
doesn't
change. A couple of times when issuing this command manually, I got the
message:

   /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: 0xfc268504 [0x08100]

This seemed to be triggered by issuing "ifconfig de0 -link2" more than
once, but
wasn't always repeatable. Does this suggest an IRQ problem?

I tried adding the -link2 option to the de0 config during a re-install of
FreeBSD
but that didn't help. I also tried a modified kernel with minimal drivers
enabled,
but the result was the same.

Other system components of note:
----------------------------------
Tyan-III Pentium 200 motherboard
256MB EDO RAM
Adaptec 2940
SCSI CD-ROM (Sony?... runs fine on cd0)
SCSI HDs (not installed yet)
WD 1.2GB EIDE HD (with a small DOS slice and / inside the first 540MB)

Any ideas for getting this fixed would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg Barniskis                   gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI