Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 14:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finger anomaly in 2.2

I just updated my 2.1.7-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE using the CD-ROM sources and
running make world.  After a couple of false starts, everything seems to
be working okay again... with one exception: finger.

I've made no changes to inetd.conf but now when you use finger to list
users on a system ('finger @somewhere.com'), all it returns is the remote
system name. I went through the archives and noticed this problem
mentioned a couple of times, but no cause (or solution). Nothing shows up
in the syslog... it just doesn't work like it did. Not all systems return
empty details, though, so far most that don't work seem to be non-UNIX
systems, though that isn't consistant either; a specific site either works
or doesn't. Fingering the local system works as it should. What changed?
And more importantly, how can I fix it short of finding the old source for
finger again? Do I need to CVsup some other release?

TIA...

-Dave