Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:35:11 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?

> According to Andreas Klemm:
> > FreeBSD is their main developement platform and I have the feeling
> > they are more than willed to contribute their work to us and
> > generally *BSD...
>
> Ahem, this can be said for INRIA as well as  Francis is a FreeBSD user, has
> worked for NetBSD too (even before FreeBSD) and his  work has been included
> in NetBSD and I think OpenBSD. This is also the base for AIX stuff (like it
> or not, IBM took the INRIA code not another one).
>
> We have at least two people (including one committer) willing to port &
> maintain to 3.0 & CURRENT.

As opposed to a team of more than six, payrolled for three days a week
to do nothing but develop and maintain the KAME stack?

No offense to Francis or the INRIA folks, but the level of commitment
offered by the KAME team is not matched by any other contender.

It's also worth noting that all of the other offerings have already
been adopted by one camp or the other.  This makes for another good
argument for KAME in the name of supporting diversity.