Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 19:50:37 +1100 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, joerg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipsec (VPN) for -current ? (Re: VPN through encrypted IP tunnel for FreeBSD? )

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:

:
: >> OpenBSD seems to have it ... well, would it be possible to
: >> import this stuff and test it under -current ?
: >Stephanie Wehner has already done this, though I don't know when
: >she'll be ready to have it committed; I got mail from her yesterday
: >saying she had some updates.
:
: 	mmm, if it gets committed, what happens to IPsec part of KAME stack?
: 	if core team wishes to get IPsec is from OpenBSD and IPv6 from KAME,
: 	who will take care about merging?  It will be a hard job.

Let's also not forget about the added effort we'll need to add hooks for
export-level encryption (56 bits), but making strong-level encryption
available as a package from an international site. We don't want to have
the problem of being unable to export FreeBSD due to ITAR/EAR
restrictions.

Thankfully the photuris port is currently located outside of the US, as
is the great work being done with KAME. :)

: itojun

Nick

--
Email: ncb05@uow.edu.au - http://rabble.uow.edu.au/~nick
Key fingerprint =  DE 30 33 D3 16 91 C8 8D  A7 F8 70 03 B7 77 1A 2A