Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 1996 13:45:31 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mrami@minerva.cis.yale.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Age Counter (was Re: Hackers ages)

> This astonishing result is (mostly) due to John "Methuselah" Birrell, who
> is still poking along at the ripe old age of 12345.  If we make like a
> tobacco industry researcher and ignore his datapoint, we get a more
> reasonable

Did we find out how old Bruce Evans is as a result of this survey?
Most of the core team has been curious about this for a long time!
The currently popular mental image is that of some retired computer
science teacher living in the australian outback somewhere, but no one
really knows!  We've never met him, talked to him or seen a picture
of him, and if Australia had a more active intelligence agency we'd
probably suspect him of working for them! :-)

> If we assume that Mr. Birrell mis-typed his actual age (12), we get
>
> sample: 40  mean: 33.0733

Maybe he meant 21?  I think maybe it's safe to discard his sample
completely.. :-)

> homepage later on tonight.  First, I must sup (as in eat).  Can I make a
> GIF with GNUplot?

Of course!

> Now, for the other side... How old is Linus? 26? That's one point; so
> far we've got 'em beat!

I believe he just turned 26.  Haven't asked him though.  I know
that he just got his BS degree last week, that much is true! :-)

						Jordan