Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:20:05 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Jason <jason@inetworx.com.ph>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compile error

> Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:46:12 -0800
> From: John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Follow the instructions in the documentation for building a kernel.
> 'make all' is NOT the way to do it.  :)
>
> Generally, one builds a "world" to make sure that "world" stays in sync
> with the kernel (or else very bad things may happen).  Then (and only
> then) does a kernel get built.
>
> Assuming you have a working kernel configuration file in /sys/i386/conf
> with "SOME_NAME," the safe-and-sane build sequence, usually looks like
> (from memory):
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=SOME_NAME
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=SOME_NAME
> # make installworld
>
> You may need to reboot into single-user mode to successfully install
> (that will depend on your configuration, etc.)  And the order may have
> changed (read the documentation); and there are shortcuts for the
> brave-or-foolhardy (which I won't discuss here).
>
> But don't trust me, read the doc.  :)

Yes, you really want to reboot to single-user mode to installworld,
even though the installworld works fine in multi-user mode. The
problems is that you are installing a new userland while running the
old kernel. The next time you re-boot it is possible that the kernel
won't work. You can boot with kernel.old, but that leaves you with a
partly functioning system since the kernel and userland are not only
out of sync, but in the "wrong" way, and it's virtually impossible to
"uninstallworld". You usually have to re-install!

That all said, many people do the entire installation without a reboot
and do it remotely with no console access. (I've done it and probably
will again.) It USUALLY works, but when it fails, you are in VERY deep
weeds!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)