Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 19:18:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
Cc:        jason@pdh.com (Jason Rhoads), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wierd problem with dual ethernet boards

>AFAIK, it's a bug in some revisions of the EtherExpress card.  The fix is
>to down and up the interface using ifconfig -- that'll bring it back to
>life.  Ugly, but it works.
>
>When we were using one of those cards, I wrote a quick perl script that
>ran every minute to see if the world was alive and reset the interface.
>It's at the end of this message.  It worked for me, but YMMV.

   Yes, it's a bug in the early chips - supposedly fixed in later steppings.
The "official" workaround for the defect is to do what you're doing, but in
the driver. Basically, if you don't see any packets come in over a period of
a few seconds, then reset the card (actually, reprogram the multicast filter,
but this requires re-initializing the card). I thought this was disgusting so
I never implemented it. Sigh.

-DG

David Greenman