Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:20:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!root.com!dg, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!cdsnet.net!mrcpu, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers, ponds!dyson.iquest.net!toor, ponds!idi.ntnu.no!Tor.Egge
Subject:   A "data point" on my daily panics...

Well -

 Just to let everyone know I haven't forgotten this point...

 If you recall, a few weeks ago; I posted a note about the
seeming increase in news expiration times with 2.2.2.  It's since
come out that 2.2.2 may not have been the culprit; but just a
series of several bad days in the control group creating *many*
files.

 Anyway - to work around the problem; David G. had suggested
increasing the number of NBUFs - to allow for more buffers, which
should reduce the I/O.

 I did so - and got my news system under control...

 However - it had another surprising side-effect.  I've had
fewer panics.  They now seem to come about every 5 to 6 days
(i.e. a little over once a week instead of every day...)

 The panic continues to be "panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc"

 I've also gotten the "bar dir" panic; which I believe is explained
by the same scenario... (things not quite making it to disk...)

 One of the panic's is one I haven't yet seen:

   panic: ufs_ihashget: recursive lock not expected -- pid %d

 which, again, could be explained by the same phenomena...

Details for those of you who haven't been through all of this:
	386dx-33, w/Intel 387 - 8meg memory; 1+GIG IDE hard drive
 (although, I can duplicate it with an aha1542B and a SCSI drive),
 running a news feed... the panics seem to occur during the expire.

  	I've duplicated this on two 386dx-33 machines....  the
 second has 12 meg of memory....

	I can demonstrate the problem doing a newfs when the
 system isn't multiuser; so I don't believe it's "stress" related.

 So - increasing the number of buffers does seem to decrease the
probability of hitting the problem - which could help to explain
why those of you with large physical memory (on which the NBUF calculation
is made, if you don't override it) can potentially mask the problem...

	- Dave Rivers -