Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:35:03 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Active FTP Through Firewall?

I'm using ipfw on 4.5-Release.  I have created a rule set based on the
rc.firewall.current script found at
http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/December/Features359.html and have been
using it successfully for several months.  Passive FTP transfers
initiated from the inside will work through the firewall just fine.
However, active transfers do not.  I'd like to get active transfers
working so that my backup software can update its virus protection data
files without my intervention.  Is there a rule I can add to open port
20 when I initiate a FTP transfer?  I have seen the punch_fw option in
natd but I am not using natd (NAT is handled by my DSL modem/router).
I've searched Google but have not found a definitive answer although I
suspect I can not do what I want.  Can anyone confirm or deny my
suspicions?

Thanks,

Drew