Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:48:20 -0700
From:      Patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
To:        Remy van Elst <relst@relst.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vim, x11 and portmaster

The vim-lite port ought to do exactly what you want, but something to
consider as an alternative approach is to use Poudriere to build binary
packages from the ports tree using whatever options you like. There are
some decent articles to look at:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-poudriere.html
http://www.bsdnow.tv/tutorials/poudriere

This works really well with the new pkgng system, and it's easy to script
to update and rebuild ports every night so you always have up-to-date
packages ready for you to install. If you have multiple machines that have
different needs (ie. same ports, different options), this is also easy to
do with a single Pourdriere installation. You can even build packages for
different versions of FreeBSD from the same installation. I have an Amazon
EC2 instance that I keep stopped and just fire up any time I need to build
and distribute new packages. At $0.07/hour (only when running), this is a
good option if you don't have any spare hardware to use.

Patrick