Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:35:04 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com>
Cc:        Krutov Mikle <nekoexmachina@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL must die!

On 17 March 2011 16:10, Lars Eighner <luvbeastie@larseighner.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Krutov Mikle wrote:

>>> Um, why exactly are so many people against HAL? It's the only
>>> cross-platform thing available for non-Linux systems which handles
>>> device enumeration, hotplugs, etc.
>>>
>> Hi Ivan!
>> As for me, it is like a habit:
>> I've installed Xorg + HAL for the first time;
>> I've seen that my config is ignored;
>> I disabled HAL by-default in make.conf
>> :)
>
> Setting FORBIDDEN in the HAL port helps to avoid accidentally installing =
hal
> as can easily happen. =C2=A0The gstreamer plugin pseudoports have somethi=
ng that
> installs hal and breaks Firefox so any mouse click kills it.

Well yes, that's one thing: if you use HAL, everything must use HAL
and you can't pick and match incompatible applications and force half
of the things in xorg.conf.

As for me, I'm running without any xorg.conf (really, I don't have the
file at all), all my desktop applications are using HAL and everything
is autodetected and "just works", which is as it should be.