Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:47:00 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using bsdinstall for an additional drive

I think it's worth the effort to try to understand gpart et al.

If you have a new disk, DISK=3Dad4, for example

# remove any possible existing data at beginning and end of disk (this
is just an example)

offset=3D`diskinfo $DISK | awk '{ print $4 - 131072 }'`
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/$DISK bs=3D64k count=3D1
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/$DISK bs=3D64k seek=3D$offset

The following is for a boot drive, with some fixed ideas about
partitions, but is possibly useful as an example.  The assumption here
is alignment to 64k boundaries. If you don't need a bootable drive,
just skip the parts for that.  You could create one big partition, if
that's what you want, with just the last bit.

# create partition table
gpart create -s gpt ${DISK}

# add boot partition
# p1
gpart add -t freebsd-boot -l boot -s 64k ${DISK}

# put boot code in boot partition
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ${DISK}

# add 1G root, make sectors aligned
# p2
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l root -a 64k -s 1G ${DISK}

# add 2G swap
# p3
gpart add -t freebsd-swap -l swap -a 64k -s 2G ${DISK}

# add 1G tmp
# p4
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l tmp -a 64k -s 1G ${DISK}

# add 2G var
# p5
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l var -a 64k -s 2G ${DISK}

# add 2G opt
# p6
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l opt -a 64k -s 2G ${DISK}

# add remainder of disk for usr
# p7
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -l usr -a 64k ${DISK}

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
> I have a running 9.2 system that I need to add another drive to.  With sy=
sinstall it was easy (once you understood it) to add a new drive.  However,=
 I have not figured out how to do that with bsdinstall.  I don't want to ex=
periment much as the running system would take forever to rebuild.  Is ther=
e a way to do this without affecting the existing system?