Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:04:06 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hdd sppin-down and syncer

Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> My Dell Latitude-CPx spins down its hdd after 10 or 15 seconds, but a
>> few seconds later the syncer kicks in and it spins back up again. I
>> know it might be unwise to do this but I'd like to make the syncer
>> run less frequently. AFAICT one would just need to frob
>> SYNCER_MAXDELAY in vfs_subr.c to acheive this, but it will go up by
>> powers of two. The change below would be useful to make it easier to
>> change it in a kernel configuration file.
>
>You should use a tunable for this...

Do you mean a sysctl or something else? I realised soon after I sent
the patch that I forgot to include
SYSCTL_INT(_kern, OID_AUTO, syncdelay, CTLFLAG_RW, &syncdelay, 0, "");
which makes things fully tunable up to the SYSCTL_MAXDELAY setting.
I'm running with it set to 256 and the sysctls are
	kern.syncdelay: 240
	kern.filedelay: 210
	kern.dirdelay: 180
	kern.metadelay: 150
which seems to do what I want.

I left SYNCER_MAXDELAY as a compile-time option because the syncer's
work table has a fixed size and I was disinclined to make it dynamic
when I ought to be going to bed. But you think that that is a
reasonable thing to do and (other than keeping stuff in RAM longer
than before) this won't cause trouble?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
427 sun-bleached stripes on the big top of banality