Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:46:09 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        ChrisC <chrisc123@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to find good/cheap tech support

ChrisC wrote:
[ ... ]
> In my mind there is always the possibility of a problem being a pebkac but this
> problem only occurs with FreeBSD. The SCSI controller works fine when I load
> RedHat Fedora Core 3 or Windows 2000 Pro. Unfortunately I don't know much about
> FreeBSD to do much trouble shooting myself so I might just have to go with
> another OS on this specific server.

A system that works is more useful to you than one which doesn't-- maybe that
would be best.

[ ... ]
> *Ata1-master : FAILURE – ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
> Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> -------Dump Card State Ends-------
> (probe29:ahd1:0:15:0) SCB0xe – timed out
> ahd0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset 4 SCBs aborted
> -
> Thanks again for taking time to reply.

There are people who are a lot more expert than I at interpreting Adaptec card
dumps lurking on these lists, but honestly, there isn't much here to go on.

My first take would have been to double-check the cabling, and retest the
hardware in another machine.  But if the hardware seems to work using another
OS, well, the easy answers are out.  I might try disabling your ATA controller
entirely, if you are not using it, to remove the first error message...

--
-Chuck