Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:05:10 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BLOAT in minimal programs

In message <199609270042.KAA02056@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans writes:
>>>I wanted to write a minimal footprint program
>>>that would be as tiny as possible..
>>
>>recompile libc with at least this change in libc/stdlib/malloc.c:
>>
>>#undef MALLOC_STATS
>
>Even better: don't use malloc():
>
>	main() {} atexit() {}
>
>atexit() is normally linked to and references malloc(), although it
>only calls malloc() when there are a lot of atexits.  malloc() now
>uses stdio and stdio uses half the universe.

Malloc doesn't use stdio if you don't define MALLOC_STATS in it...

I'm not to happy about that being the default, it doesn't matter for
shlib cases, but for static programs it's a pain.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.